B Tech in Automobile Engineering
The Department of Automobile Engineering was established in the year 2009 at the very inception of Dr. Sudhir Chandra Sur Degree Engineering College. The department started with a 4 years B. Tech course (capacity of 60 students) and later on, Diploma in Automobile Engineering (capacity of 60 students) started in 2014. The department offers courses to ensure a regular supply of top notch Automobile Engineers who have hands on experience and are well versed with latest Automobile Technology to fill up the demand gap between industry and academia. The department has state of the art laboratory facilities to provide hands on training to the students in the emerging field of specialization. Automobile engineering students get exposure to practically all fields of engineering. Automobile is a branch where all sorts of engineering and technologies are involves e.g. Automobile, Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics, Industrial design. The department has their student chapter under SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers).
To be recognized as a space of excellent education and research in the field of Automobile Engineering generating the dedicated workforce and to help as an important resource for industries, research and society most importantly.
- To uphold academic growth by developing a space where the students will be engaged in the search of new knowledge and therefore inventive ideas will emerge.
- To implement a comprehensive approach in designing the curriculum so that the students can be in touch with the advances in engineering thus meeting the industry requirements.
- To develop coordination with important industries, R&D organization, educational institutions for continuous improvement in teaching, training and research.
- To provide the students such an environment where leadership and ethical values will be appreciated leading to meaningful contributions to the society.
- PO1. Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems related to automobile engineering.
- PO2. Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, research literature, and analyse complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- PO3. Design/Development of Solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- PO4. Conduct Investigations of Complex Problems: Use research-based knowledge and research including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions in automobile.
- PO5. Modern Tool Usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- PO6. The Engineer and Society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess automobile based societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- PO7. Environment and Sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- PO8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- PO9. Individual and Team Work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- PO10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex automobile engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- PO11. Project Management and Finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- PO12. Lifelong Learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program Specific Outcomes
- PSO 1: Analyze, Design and Evaluate Automobile components and systems using conventional and/or CAD/ CAM tools.
- PSO 2: Plan, process automation and quality assurance system for manufacturing of given automobile components and systems.
Program Educational Objectives
- PEO.1: To enhance the fundamental engineering & science knowledge of the under graduates to develop their employability skills and sincere interest in research.
- PEO.2: To develop high level of technical competency combined with research and problem solving skills to generate innovative solutions in Automobile Engineering and/or related interdisciplinary areas.
- PEO.3: To follow methodological approaches dedicated to extend the depth and breadth of the undergraduate engineers from both professional and societal perspectives.
- PEO.4: To nourish the professional values and develop communication skills to perform as a team in all possible situations.
- PEO.5: To create an excellent environment where the ideas to search for acquiring new knowledge will be encouraged.
In DSCSDEC we have all the B.Tech laboratory facilities as per WBUT syllabus. Existing laboratories are:
- Engine Components Lab (4 cylinder petrol and diesel engines, 3 cylinder petrol engines, Variable compression 1 cylinder Diesel engine, etc
- Engine Testing and Pollution Measurement Lab. (Hydraulic, Mechanical and Eddy current dynamometer set up couple to the engines including LPG and CNG engine, etc)
- Chassis Components Lab (Cut section of different types of rear axle and gear boxes, Cut section of Tata 407 running model, etc )
- Auto Scanning lab (Wheel balancing machine, Head light beam adjustment, 2 wheeler chassis dynamometer, Computerized wheel alignment equipment, etc)
- Computer Aided Design Lab.(Autocad, ProE , Catia)
- Applied mechanics Lab (Universal Testing Machine, Fatigue testing machine, Torsion testing machine Hardness testing machine, etc)
- Fluid mechanics lab (Orifice meter, Venturi meter, V-notch, Jet pump, Bernoulli’s experiment, Pitot tube, etc set up)
- Thermal Engineering Lab.(Concentric tube heat exchanger, Refrigeration test rig, etc)
- Measurement & Instrumentation Lab.(All types of venire, screw gauge, set for checking gear tooth profile)
- Manufacturing & Workshop Practice Lab.(Welding shop, Forging shop, Carpentry shop and Machine shop including CNC)
- Project Lab